Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Goodbye Costa Rica, we'll miss you!

We left Costa Rica yesterday, the boys and I to Minneapolis, and Luke to Afghanistan. The hardest part was not leaving Costa Rica, it was leaving Luke. But we are under 90 days now and then he will be home for good!

We had an interesting situation at the San Jose airport, they were out of fuel. I overheard one person say that the tanker was stuck in the canal (Panama, I suppose). Anyway, all of the planes had to stop in Nicaragua to refuel. It made us miss our connection so we had to take the later flight. But my parent's plane had the same problem and they missed their connection too and we all arrived within minutes of each other, just before midnight. It was a long day but the boys did great.

Here are some more pics from our trip, in no particular order (because Blogger won't let me put them how I want!).

Luke on an ocean kayak


My brother and I


Luke and I on the kayak


This iguana was in the tree in our yard
He had to be at least 5 feet long



Boys in hats
Ryan had Luke's hat so he had to wear my Mom's!


We saw this toucan on a hike in the rainforest
Our guide took a picture through his telescope for me


Three-toed sloth through the telescope


Dave riding Steven's crocodile


Luke caught this red snapper on his fishing trip with Steven
It was delicious!



On a hanging bridge near Arenal Volcano



We found this snake around the table leg on our patio
We think it was a boa constrictor




Our frog friend
He always wanted to come in our house and when
he came in, he didn't want to leave!





Have you ever seen such a beautiful fungus?



Luke took Ryan on a dune buggy ride
Note the white-faced monkey climbing on Ryan!






Green and black poison dart frog
We saw them all over the rainforest



This tree was at least 140 feet tall
I'm 6 feet and the roots are taller than I am



Sunset on our beach


The bugs in Costa Rica are giant!
This millipede is at least 5 inches long



Arenal Volcano spouted out steam continually
We also witnessed it belch out steam and ash
At night you could see red lava flowing down



1 comment:

Abby said...

Love your pictures, we will keep you in our prayers...can't wait for you all to be home together!