Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mama said there'd be days like this

Well, Luke and I both didn't have the best days yesterday.

Luke hasn't heard any official word yet on the decision to send him south. But he did report this yesterday, "Not good news over here, the shipping company lost my passport, so now I don't know what I have to do to get out of here." He is supposed to be on a plane in 3 weeks to come home to visit for 11 days. Please pray they will figure out what to do about his passport.

As for me, I had my worst day of teaching ever. I thought the week was as bad as it could get after having to send 8 students out of 26 in the class to the office for various offenses such as fighting, throwing soap on the ceiling, and peeing in trash cans. Then it got worse. Yesterday a student brought a knife to school and told kids he was going to stab me with it. The police called for a marked car and took him away. He was arrested and booked into the juvenile detention center. He is only 10 years old. There was nothing the principal, the parents, or I could do about it. The poor kid has always been given so many warnings before he ever got a punishment, I don't think he realized there are some things you do that you just don't get a second chance about. I'm not upset that he was mad at me, one thing I know as a teacher and a parent is that if you are doing a good job, sometimes they aren't going to like you. But my heart breaks for him and his parents. Please pray for them. And also for me. I've always loved being a teacher before, but this year really has me doubting.

2 comments:

Geoff said...

What a crappy day/week. i feel bad complaining about jury duty.

Hopefully that kid will get the help he needs. Anyone that age bringing a knife to school has issues. Doesn't excuse it, but hopefully he'll get straightened out.

Hope things gets better soon.

Geoff

Alyssa said...

Really sorry to hear that, hang in there.