I got the following email from Luke explaining why I hadn't been able to talk to him for a few days.
" I have double frustration with the phone,skype isn't working, and for the last 3-4 days our cell phones haven'tworked at all. We found out why, the cell phone provider we are using is being shut down by the govt. There are 3 big cell phone providers in the country. One of them paid a lot of "extra" money in there taxes (aka bribe)and the govt went to the other two and demanded the same thing. They both said no, and then the govt shut them down. That's pretty typical of how things work around here. Our locals that travel from kabul everyday usually have to pay the local police force a bribe to get down the only road that comes to the base. Just a crazy way of running a country."
Our Family
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That is so funny. I just saw a program (does that make me sound like a grandma) on t.v. where they were spotlighting a man that has either been elected or wants to be that accepts no bribes. He sleeps outside the capitol so people can tell him about the bribery going on. Needless to say during the article I thought of you!
Stay safe. I've been thinking a lot about you out there lately.
Post a Comment