Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

My first Mother's Day 2003

I want to say Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there. Yesterday, Steven told me that I didn't have to take care of him because God takes care of him. I explained that part of the way God takes care of him is by giving him to me so I will take care of him.

That got me thinking about how much our moms' love teaches us about God's love. I have always known that my mom loves me, and would still love me no matter what I did. Our moms have seen us at our worst (ie. 2-year-old tantrums and teenage years!), and she still loved us, liked us even! Our moms love us selflessly, putting her children's needs ahead of her own. I think having been loved like this by my mom made it easier for me to understand and accept God's love.

I'm sure we all remember the moment we became a mom. They put this wrinkly, red faced little burrito in your arms and for some reason you know you will never be the same. I've heard it described that part of your heart is now walking around outside of your body, beating in this little person's chest. You are vulnerable in a way you never have been before, but you wouldn't change it for the world. It is amazing that this little person that creates so much extra work for you, but you are so in love you don't even care. God definately knew what he was doing when he gave us Mom!

I have often thought of how much I'd like to pay my mom back for all she's done for me. I don't think it is possible, but I do think giving her grandchildren gets pretty close. Luke and I were both suprised how instantly our parents loved our boys. The instant we became parents, our parents became head-over-heels in love grandparents. The joy on their faces looking at their grandsons is priceless.

I also want to mention how great Luke's moms and grandmothers have been to me. They have all taken me in as one of their own since they day they met me. And in these past months since Luke has been gone and I have gone back to work, they have pretty much stepped up to co-parent with me. They make sure my kids are taken care of, fed, and exposed to fun things. I don't think they would do anything differently if I was their own daughter.

As I was thinking about my mom and how blessed I am, I sadly realized that not everyone has a mom like mine. I have one student that lost her mom this year. I can't imagine how hard this Mother's Day must be on her. And I have several students that don't have a mom in their lives because of drugs, prision, or she just up and left. These children are definately at a disadvantage as they face their futures. So please pray for these children, that God will show them his love through someone else.

Happy Mother's Day to all! I love you Mom! I love you Becky and Lucy!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Christy, I love your post. You are one of the most inspirational moms I know. I hope that you have a great day with your boys!